History

In 1937, Bazil Kingon purchased a small store in Cambridge, a small town just outside East London.  He started trading in fabrics, fine haberdashery, trimmings, laces and sewing requirements for ladies.  Due to the 2nd World War, stocks were difficult to get because everything was imported mainly from Great Britain.  Due to the convenience of the store and the excellent service provided by the ‘Gentleman of Cambridge’, Bazil’s business grew.  Bazil’s two sons, Harrison and Alton, joined the business later and undertook three major renovations, the last being completed in 1970, which is the building which Kingons trades from today.  New departments were added and the store developed into a typical department store.  Bazil died in 1972 and the two brothers ran the family business together until the late 80’s when Harrison retired.   Alton continued until he retired in 1998, when Mark (grandson of founder Bazil; 3rd generation) took over managing the store.  The store has been in the same place since its inception.


Timeline2Time line:

  • 1937- store M.E .Moore purchased and traded as Kingons
  • 1946-Harrison eldest son joins buisness
  • 1947- 1st Alteration to building 50ft added to building doubling floorspace
  • 1947- Harrison started menswear
  • 1950-Started Schoolwear with Cambridge,Convent,Vincent & Voorpos Schools
  • 1951-Alton 2nd son joins business  after serving an apprenticeship at Bryants
  • 1960-2nd alteration to building which included present day the area to the right of the entrance
  • 1970- Brother s  build much bigger shop as we know it today
  • 1989- First start sponsoring Cambridge School first team rugby
  • 1991 – First computer to manage revolving credit accounts
  • 1993 –Showroom revamped in art deco style
  • 1994- electronic swipe machines installed
  • Jan 1995- flash floods Showroom fitting rooms and school storeroom flooded
  • 1997- 60th Avnniversary celebrations
  • 1998- new offices built upstairs( accounts)
  • 2000- Undies opened in Vincent Park
  • 2002 –revamp  ladies shoe department & open coffee shoppe
  • 2004 – Underwear department re-vamped Undies @Vincent park moves back to Kingons
  • 2006 – New Mens Formalwear revamp
  • 2007- 70th Anniversary celebrations
  • 2007 – Go live with a point of sale computer & stock control system
  • 2007 –Front colour billboards erected for first time
  • 2007 – Current logo launched
  • 2012- 75th anniversary celebrations
  • 2013-First time all staff wear same uniform shirt & launch Facebook page
  • 2014- Launch web site
  • 2015- New menswear including Men’s shoes, Men’s formalwear and Suit Hire opens upstairs. New Ladies Boutique and undies open on ground floor.
  • 2017 – Kingons celebrates its 80th Anniversary